General Finishes Water Based Topcoats:
- High Performance
- Flat Out Flat
- Enduro Professional Topcoats (Enduro Clear Poly, Enduro Conversion Varnish, Enduro Water Based Laquer)
General Finishes Oil Based Topcoats
- Arm-R-Seal Liquid Oil Based Topcoat
- Gel Satin Topcoat
- Oil based topcoats and Enduro-Var will amber over time.
- Water based Flat Out Flat and High Performance top coats dry clear.
- Never use any water based topcoat with long oils such as Danish, Tung or Linseed.
- Water based top coats clean up with water. OIl based topcoats require mineral spirits for clean up.
- Enduro-Var ADHERES WELL only over WATER STAINS, DYE STAINS, and RAW WOOD.
- If you use water based topcoats over oil based finishes, make sure that you wait 72 hours between the two products. It is essential to let the oil finish dry longer.
- Large/Detailed Surfaces – For more complex projects that have a lot of nooks and crannies or projects with large surface areas such as cabinets, we recommend either ARM-R-SEAL liquid oil based topcoat or any of our water based topcoats.
- Enduro Professional Top Coats are thinner and intended to be sprayed
High Performance and Flat Out Flat can also be sprayed. If needed, it can be thinned by adding 10% water or Extender. Large surfaces such as cabinets or tables and complex projects with lots of detail are easier to cover with liquid top coat rather than a Gel top coat.