According to the General Finishes website, –General Finishes Milk Paint is not a true “casein based milk paint” but a modern version of old world paint with a strong mineral base, it is fabulously adaptable & UV resistant. Milk Paint can be used indoors or out & applied to furniture, crafts, and cabinets. Easy to use – consumers can hand apply or professionals may spray. It is the furniture paint with soul-.
We love painting furniture with General Finishes because:
- General Finishes paint is durable
- Its pre-mixed and ready to go. Can be mixed with water to dilute or used just directly as a spray. Provides amazing coverage!
- Wide selection of colors. Can be mixable to create your own custom colors too.
How to Prep Furniture for General Finishes Paint
• Clean the furniture with a cleanser to remove all dust, oils and grime that might have built up.
• Sanding to give a smoother surface area to paint on
• Light colors over red stains
• White paint over dark colors
How To Apply General Finishes Milk Paints in 4 easy steps
1. Prep the surface (see above steps)
2. Apply the Paint – Stir paint thoroughly. General Finishes Milk paint is not a true milk paint, its much thicker in consistency. Thin it out if needed by diluting it with water. If you’re using a spray gun it needs to be watered down quite a bit. Check out General Finishes instructions on using milk paint in sprayers
3. Apply Multiple Coats – Apply as many coats as you need for desired coverage. 2-3 coats are standard but additional coats may be required based on color of wood or finish underneath. Give atleast a couple of hours between coats. And sand after each coat for a smoother finish.
4. Protect the Finish – General Finishes Milk Paint is one of the hardier furniture paints available and don’t typically need a topcoat. But you might consider top protection if:
- You’d like more than a low luster sheen on your furniture
- Make the furniture more durable
Wood Repair Products is one of the biggest authorized dealers of General Finish Paints and Waterborne Finishes in Orange County. Pick up in the store if you;re local or shop online wherever you are. Browse Wood Repair Products’ wide selection of General Finishes Milk paints and the rest of their finishes and topcoats here!